Slightly delayed recap from this last meeting convo here for the record--Kei, Ben, and I were able to cover a bunch of pertinent agenda, plus a bit of impromptu futurism on things near and far for unMon along this line of proposed developments in NY. Here are some of the notes and next steps:
--TLDR; the Abode looks like a great site for a 'Test Lab' implementation during some or all of the 2016 summer season. Need to start recruiting participants who can help make it happen, and find out what is needed in terms of outside support / budget to set them up comfortably for the duration.--
The next six months:
- Attract 2-4 people into the area for extended stays at either the Abode or adjacent housing while contributing to and learning from established projects here.
- Work with organic farm, wilderness education programs, abode community, shaker museum, others in area to outline program / project opportunities in sync with their activities
Residence and space options:
- Free housing possibility which requires direct involvement with the work-study program at the Abode and study of Sufism
- Paid housing at the Abode community (6-800 per month - includes meals)
- Nearby rentals (3-500 per month)
- Nearby donated or trade housing and multi-use spaces
- Work/study and Event space in exchange for maintenance / improvements
External funding options / List of potential resources for those who want to be involved
- put together a list of funding pools for individuals
- identify existing relationships / connections in NY
- Crowdsourcing / Goteo / other
What should this mean in very practical terms? Open communication channels, and a commitment to co-design process with weekly calls and open workspaces and growing visits. Determine a stable digital infrastructure for documentation and distributed collaboration.
- Home in on one or a few possible 'raison d'etre' for Test Lab - lines of inquiry
- Complete the call to participate and post for targeted sharing
- Refine a prospective budget sheet with estimates for operation
- Consider financial support options - crowdfunding etc
- Review ‘managing expectations’
Moving right along then! I'll be working on the above through end of this month with the goal of publishing a more fully formed and scoped call to participate right around the new year.
Pleased to field any inquiries, ideas, input the meanwhile of course