[from an email that went out earlier today]
Dear Friends and Fellow Travellers,
I hope that everyone is very well. I am currently sat with Kei in Torino, the heat is sweltering, oppressive but welcomed.
We have been discussing the current state of unMonastery and thought it might be timely to send out an email gathering all activity, updates and directions into one place, and assemble a list of actions so that we're (relatively speaking) all on the same page and that nothing falls between the cracks, chasms?
[Also if you ever feel stranded, we created an index document for all things unMonastery]
Main strands of activity include: unSummit, unMonastery Test Labs (Model and Sites), BIOS, and MetaNational.
After many conversations, emails, loomios, hangouts and sleepless nights, it seems that we may have a date, location and theme - but some solidification is still needed.
- Our current plan is to host unSummit in November, w/c 2nd of November, in partnership with Near Now, with some run in time for core gathering, and a more publically accessible affair over the weekend - discussion is happening here
- The theme is currently "Living Together", or in expanded terms "The Impossible Futures of Living Together" (it's useful to test out this full name on people, to gauge reaction before we go public) - there is a document here for announcing the event that needs editing and input.
ACTION: Refine and improve the text.
ACTION: Add organisations you want to involve.
Format, it has been raised that we might not want to go the normal route of the conference hall, that perhaps circles would be more appropriate - I’ve started an open discussion on discourse here.
ACTION: Contribute ideas to the thread about the format.
Communication - it’s vital to get the word out, get it in the diary of all unMonasterians throughout the kingdom, to do this we need to whittle down our words and communicate across channels.
ACTION: Draft a personalised email format for potential collaborators.
ACTION: Put out a blogpost, likely working off the themedocument.
ACTION: Newsletter? (Do we still do those?)
unMonastery Test Labs
Following on from a conversation in Athens had earlier in the month, the need to distill what we have learned from unMonastery up until this point into a concise format has become clear - in order to facilitate others that may wish to take up the model in experimental ways and further contribute to the unMonastery pools (and lakes, rivers, and deltas) of knowledge through iterative use of the documentation we have generated so far. The focus of these micro-unMonasteries would be on testing the unMonastery tools and culture rather than heavy logistical hauling. Athens appeared as one of the first Test Lab candidate sites. This concept may also be a candidate for the reformation of the process map.
A document was started here in the tradition of unBlock to list out the various procedures, schedules, roles and specialisms unMonastery has used until now.
ACTION: Add to any areas, components and specialisms that may have been missed.
ACTION: List at the bottom of the document the minimum requirements and objectives necessary for an unMonastery Test Lab.
ACTION: A one+ pager listing the fundamental tools and first 5 steps for a Test Lab (The Test Lab Manual?). *Ideally by Sunday, July 12.
ACTION: Create corresponding Git repositories for the documentation to be iterated upon.
Test Lab Sites - there are a grouping of sites, individuals and networks that may be keen to experiment with the unMonastery model, but the question persists in how the MetaNational can work to facilitate the establishment of these labs.
ACTION: Identify potential groups and sites for Test Labs
ACTION: Identify potential funding sources and/ or buildings in these localities.
NEXT > ACTION: Make a public post on discourse to link people to.
The unSummit marks the beta release date of the unMonastery BIOS - since its Alpha debut in January, work has been distributed and varied in scope. Katalin compiled this document pointing to the current state of the BIOS and the road ahead. It’s extremely important we gather around this amorphous toolkit in the next weeks to map, define and implement the tools to be released by November.
ACTION: Gather everything into one place and create an index document for the BIOS
ACTION: Put together a timeline to ensure beta launch in November.
ACTION: Break into concrete tasks on this Trello board and organise sprints in the model James outlined on Discourse.
Design Patterns - to bolster the unMonastery Test Lab Manual, we need to resume work on the oft-sidelined design patterns. Work has reStarted here.
ACTION: Organise a working group and sprint times around the design patterns on this Discourse post.
Somewhere along the way we experienced significant disruption and dropped the ball on the establishment of MetaNational, all those who were asked to sign up have heard little since the initial email - this can be corrected.
ACTION: Revisit its roots, we need to gather together all the work documents and distill it into one place.
ACTION: Send out an email to all those that signed up inviting them to get involved in unSummit.
ACTION: Make a public post, on its purpose and its governance structure.
- We launched another book with How To Work Together: Relearning the Rules, part four: Code/unCode
- Went to Torino to talk to Casa Jasmina.
- Kei is presenting unMonastery at Lighthouse in September.
- EdgeRyders is suggesting that we might still host LOTE5 at a later date.
- Katalin and Jeff are representing unMonastery at CAPS in Brussels at the moment.
- We’re speaking with a UK institution about an exhibition in 2017 on the future of design.
- We’ve been speaking with Victor Vorski about developing an APP.
- We’ll be involved in the next Solidarity Festival, following the success of OSCE days in Athens led by Lauren.
Other things that need attention:
- Write a report on the Athens experiment.
- Bembo to write up a post on the Hidden Assumptions and Obtainable Objectives framework.
- Post update on Uckermark visit.
- Plan our next book.
- Interview more monastics.
- Send out a newsletter.
In the interests of transparency and open access we’ve decided to also post this short tomb of updates and actions on discourse to see if anyone lurking might be interested in various aspects of what is currently happening in the unMonastery universe. It would be excellent if you could give updates and make comments on all of the above there > discourse.unmonastery.org
Sent with Love and Adoration.